Structural modelling and assessment of health literacy in allergy prevention of new parents
Parents need appropriate health literacy (HL) in the field of early childhood allergy prevention (ECAP) to be able to prevent the development of allergies in newborns responsibly and effectively. To this end, parents must be able to know the allergy-related health status and risk factors, formulate questions that can be answered, search for and find relevant health information, evaluate its evidence content, translate the conclusions into actions for the ECAP and evaluate their effects.
The definition of the ECAP-HL construct and its sub-components is fundamental to the diagnosis and evaluation of ECAP-HL. On this basis, a multi-dimensional instrument for recording and analysing parental skills is being developed.
The goals of the subproject are:
1. Identification of a comprehensive structural model of the construct ECAP-HL. When modelling ECAP-HL, the attitudes, beliefs, and behaviour of parents who are subject to adjustment processes in the early parenthood phase must be taken into account.
2. Development of a multidimensional assessment tool to measure central facets of ECAP-HL of new parents.
3. Validation of the multidimensional assessment and evaluation of psychometric and diagnostic characteristics.
The results of this project are directly related to"Epidemiology“, which also aims to quantify the ECAP-HL of new parents.
Within the HELICAP network, this sub-project enables the exchange of information for the development of a common understanding and definition of the construct ECAP-HL.
Structural modelling and measurement of health literacy (HL) regarding the prevention of COVID-19 in parents of newborns.
Parents of newborn children are confronted with diverse and demanding new tasks around prevention decisions and behavior due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to protecting their health and the health of other family members, the healthcare of the newborn is of particular importance.
There is a need for appropriate parental HL regarding the prevention of COVID-19 in order to responsibly and effectively prevent infection as well as the spread of the infectious event in everyday life through targeted preventive protective measures. For this, parents must be able to identify, evaluate and interpret relevant information appropriately and validly.
The definition of the construct of parental HL in the area of prevention of COVID-19 infection is fundamental in order to be able to measure and evaluate the general GC of parents. On this basis, a multidimensional instrument is developed for the assessment and analysis of parental competence. In an integrated and comparative competence measurement and questionnaire study, parents complete tasks or answer questions that relate to the two topic areas "early childhood allergy prevention" and "prevention of a COVID-19 infection".
- Identify a comprehensive structural model of the construct of HL related to the prevention of COVID-19 infection. The modelling will examine differences and similarities in reference to the subject area "early childhood allergy prevention" at the item and structural level.
- Development of a multidimensional assessment instrument to measure key facets of HL of parents of newborns concerning COVID-19 infection prevention.
- Validation of the multidimensional assessment and evaluation of psychometric and diagnostic properties of the COVID-19 infection prevention assessment.